Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Glogg, Pickled Herring, and a Peppermint Candy Cane Cake


Well I didn't get drunk from the Glogg this year like I did last year. My friend Berit's Birthday/pre-Christtmas party was this past Saturday. It was a blast ! It started raining as well. I stood outside on the porch and watched the storm roll in. The party was in San Pedro, CA. Anyhow,I only had one cup of Glogg this year. What's Glogg ? Well it has Scandinavian origins. Its base is hot red wine ! Here's a recipe for you:

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 1/2 cups ruby port wine
1 cup vodka
6 pods green cardamom
5 whole cloves
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
2 cinnamon sticks
2 ounces slivered almonds
1/2 tablespoon raisins
DIRECTIONS
Combine wine, port, and vodka in a nonreactive pot. Add cardamom, cloves, orange peel, and cinnamon, and gently warm (do not boil) over low heat. Allow to steep for at least 20 minutes (longer is better). Serve in heatproof glasses, sprinkled with almonds and raisins.

So my friend Berit saw a picture of a Peppermint Cake and well she tried to duplicate it...here's the pic on the magazine:


Here's Berit's version:



Well not exactly...but the whip cream melted...she swears upon it. I gave her an A for effort though.


Plenty of wine to go around !



Here's the birthday girl !





I found this man in red sitting by himself, so I decided to take a picture with him. Aren't we festive ?

No comments: