Friday, February 10, 2006

An Interview With Owner of Sidney's Cafe- Vegetarian Restaurant


Sidney's Cafe is located @ 108 W Wilshire Ave, in Downtown Fullerton
714.525.5111
The food is great here. I ordered the "Not Chicken" Salad Sandwich. Only $6.79. There's also lots of parking located in the back. Visit Sidney's Cafe for more info. My "Not Chicken" Salad sandwich was very tasty and consisted of a "yummy blend of soy chicken with celery and dates on whole wheat". But, one thing I must acknowledge, that pickle is tired !! Ya'll could have given me a better and crisper lookin' pickle than that, c'mon, I'm the Culinary Coquette(LOL) In any event, find out more about the inspirational owner of Sidney's Cafe below, Sandra Sauers:




JJ: What's your background ?
Sandra: I was born is San Diego, CA and moved to Orange
County when I was 2 years old. I was a graphic
designer for 20+ years before deciding that I would
like to open a vegetarian restaurant. I've never even
worked in a restaurant, so I really have no business
doing this! I do love to cook as a hobby, love to eat,
and love the idea of vegetarianism, so I brought it
all together.

JJ: Why did you decide to open a vegetarian cafe ?
Sandra:
There are no vegetarian restaurants in north Orange
County, so I knew there would be a market for it. I'm
a vegetarian, and know how difficult it is to find a
place to eat where you don't have to question every
item on the menu to see if there's hidden chicken
broth, etc.

JJ: Why Sidney's Cafe and not Sandra's ?
Sandra:
Sidney was my dog, who died a few years ago. I love
animals, and canines in particular, as you can see by
the theme of my cafe. I have several dog pictures, a
bowl of water outside for dogs, and we even bake vegan
dog biscuits. We have a small gift area where many dog
and cat themed items are for sale.

JJ: How did you become a vegetarian and how long have you been one?
Sandra: I've been a vegetarian for about 12 or 13 years now
I guess. I've always felt uncomfortable eating
animals, even when I was young. I was raised on meat
(both my parents grew up on farms), but for some
reason, I just knew it wasn't right. Eventually, in my
own time, I made the decision. I have felt better
about myself ever since.

JJ: Explain how alternative health coincides with alternative eating.
Sandra: I am big on alternative health care. I think what
we eat plays a huge role in our health--both mental
and physical. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I
have read a lot of books on alternative healing (I've
had cancer myself, and decided not to do all the
traditional treatments). Unfortunately, diet is only a
part of the solution, but at least is a part we have
control over.



JJ: What are you views on organically grown food ?
Sandra: I buy as much organic at home as I can, and many of
the items at the restaurant are organic. Again, I'm
not an expert. It just makes sense to me that foods
without pesticides and not genetically altered have to
be better for your body. Everything I've read points
in this direction.

JJ: What's your passion and what advice do you have for people following their calling?
Sandra: My passion is animals. I like to think that when
people eat at Sidney's they are, at least in a small
way, saving an animal from a horrible life. The more
people that eat vegetarian, the better it is for the
animals. Half my customers are meat-eaters (at least
occationally), and when they eat at Sidney's they
realize that you don't have to kill an animal for your
meal to taste good....never mind that is it also much
healthier!



I would tell other people that it is never too late to
do what makes you truly happy. I was 50 when I opened
Sidney's. It was a whole new career for me. My house
is on the line, but I would say that even if I lose
that, it was worth the satisfaction of knowing that I
won't be looking back in 30 years saying "damn, I wish
I would have tried that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice interview! That's really inspiring that she did something she'd never done before at 50! Maybe when I'm 50 I'll open up a vegan confection store :)

Jackie Joice said...

I completely agree with ya Siue !!